Saturday, February 2, 2013

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Summary from Goodreads:
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


No Rating

Library Book

Tried to Read January/February 2013

My Thoughts:
This is not a full review.  I am not able to give a full review.  I couldn't finish this book, so I don't feel that I can give it a full review.  I will however share my thoughts on what I did read of this book.

This story is fantastic.  The characters have me so involved with them that I feel like they are real.  This book shows me the life of teenagers facing terminal illness in a different way.  I appreciate the candor.

Unfortunately, I got to a point in this book where I just couldn't keep reading.  I kept taking day long breaks and reading fluff in an effort to be emotionally able to continue.  Last night I was a mess.  I started reading the next part of a chapter and had to put it down.  I didn't want to read what I saw coming.  I couldn't do it.  I thought maybe I could face it this morning.  But this morning I woke up and said to myself, "why am I putting myself through this?"  

Some may not agree with my decision, but I decided to stop reading this book.  I felt an instant relief.  I know that this book is considered one of the best of 2012.  I know that it is highly acclaimed.  I can totally see why.  It is, however, a book.  One that I can choose to read or not read.  I don't need to make myself any sadder.  I don't need to feel any more pain.  

I am going to spend some extra time today showing my children how much I love them and cherishing the time that I have on this earth.  I am going to count my blessings and smile.  And, I may pick up a fluffy, regency romance and lose myself in the fantasy of it.

Warnings: Lots of swearing and an instance of premarital sex that was tastefully done, not graphic.  Millions of tears.

I would not let my 14 year old read this book.  I do not want to put her through this kind of pain and it has pretty mature themes in it.

5 comments:

  1. John Green is very hit and miss for me. Everyone raved about Finding Alaska and I hated it. An Abundance of Katherines was only OK, but I LOVED Paper Towns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes books make us see the world differently and I love the ones that expand my view of the world. This may be one of those for some people. but I'm not willing to go there.
    Everyone has talked about this book, but I feel the same way you do: why put myself through this? It's that way with sad movies for me too, sometimes. I think it's a great decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get why you stopped reading it - but I will say that I was glad that I toughed it out and finished it. It was an awesome book and though it was sad (I'm sure it's not a spoiler to say that), it was really, really sweet in the end how he did it. I just thought the two characters were so lovely together, so sweet, and in my opinion, that's kind of how you feel when it ends, appreciating that sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you... I was feeling guilty for not finishing it. I kept hearing what a great book it was, and I enjoyed the part that I read, but I just didn't want to finish it... yet! I'm still open to picking it back up some day when I'm in a mellow mood! So glad to know I'm not alone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you... I was feeling guilty for not finishing it. I kept hearing what a great book it was, and I enjoyed the part that I read, but I just didn't want to finish it... yet! I'm still open to picking it back up some day when I'm in a mellow mood! So glad to know I'm not alone...

    ReplyDelete