Monday, January 21, 2013

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Princess of the Silver Woods by Jessica Day George

Summary from Goodreads:
When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumored to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse. The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood get a twist as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all.

Read January 2013

Library Book

4 Stars

My Review:
This is the 3rd book in the Princess series by Jessica Day George.  I love these Princess stories.  The author has taken fairy tales that are known and given them a new twist.

I liked this one, a lot.  I liked Petunia, seeing her more grown up.  I liked the hero.  I liked seeing all of the sisters together.  These are characters that I have grown to love.

My one complaint would be that I wish there was not quite so much of the same issues as were dealt with in the first book when the girls were fighting the King Under Stone.  I wish there was a bit more of the Robin Hood/Red Riding Hood story.  I was interested in how things would resolve for the hero and it was secondary to the King Under Stone.  I wish it had been more dealt with.  However, I can see why the author put the King Under Stone story in the forefront.  This was a wrapping up of the Princess stories and the battle with the King Under Stone was really the main thread throughout the books.  (And, I wish there was kissing.  But I'm a grown up.  Maybe a middle schooler wouldn't want to read about kissing.)

Warnings: None

I would let my 14 year old read this.  And, I just started my 11 year old daughter on this series.  So far she loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment