Thursday, December 8, 2011

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson

Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson published 2010

Young Adult, publisher says ages 12 and up

Read December 2011

3.5 star rating out of 5 (I liked it, but didn't love it)

My Review:
Hmmm, I have mixed feelings about this book. It was definitely a page turner. I wanted to know more about the main character and what had happened in her life. It was an interesting journey watching her develop in the short span of the book.
What I struggled with in the book was this...Amy makes all these wonderful discoveries about herself and then I feel like she gives that up in the last few chapters. Some may not agree with me. I think she learns to make better choices in her life and take more control and then the book ends with a poor choice which negates all of the learning she did along the way.
The last few chapters is what takes this from a 4 star book down to a 3 star. Too bad too, because I was really liking it.

Warnings: typos (annoying), a handful of swear words including the f-word (it being the most used in that handful), drug abuse and teen sex

I would NOT let my 13 year old read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment