Thursday, July 30, 2015

Not Without You by Dianne Venetta

Not Without You by Dianne Venetta

Summary from Goodreads:
Grad student, Lisa Richardson, scours the high country in search of her beloved boreal toad. The amphibian is in danger of extinction, a fate she is determined to change. Single-minded in her focus, Lisa doesn’t realize that she’s being followed by a mysterious stranger.


Enter McIntyre Walsh. Ex-marine with a heart of gold, this man lives and breathes duty. Protection. Content with his self-exile on a mountaintop in Colorado, he inadvertently witnesses a female hiker in danger, a situation he cannot ignore yet is unable to rectify. When their paths cross, Lisa and Walsh refuse to stray from their avowed goals, and carry on—despite the other.


It isn’t until a killer ramps up his game that both are forced to relent. Battling the rugged terrain of the Rocky Mountains and an undeniable attraction between them, Lisa and Walsh must work together against the odds if they intend to get off the mountain alive.


3.5 Stars

Received ebook for an honest review

My Review:
There were lots of things that I liked about this book.  I liked the setting, high mountains in Colorado, clear skies, crisp air.  I liked the suspense of the story.  There were threats from the elements of the location as well as the threats from a killer in the area.  And the touch of romance was just the right amount for this book.  It didn't take over, but added something to the story.  I liked Walsh and his sense of protection.  

Unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan of the main character.  In many ways I liked her, especially her strength of will to keep going under dire circumstances.  However, she was stupid.  I'm sorry to say it, but who goes after scientific samples when you have a serious ankle injury as well as a killer on the loose?  I thought she was way over the top in her environmental zeal.

Because the character had this need to find her samples, the characters were put in increasingly difficult situations.  It dragged a bit and I was ready for them to finish this adventure.  

And, the author used the word "breast" way too much.  I wished she would find other words to describe that area, sometimes "chest" would have been appropriate.  

Warnings: Word "Breast" used

I would let my 17 year old read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment