Friday, October 25, 2013

The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The Runaway King by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Summary from Goodreads:
A kingdom teetering on the brink of destruction. A king gone missing. Who will survive? Find out in the highly anticipated sequel to Jennifer A. Nielsen's blockbuster THE FALSE PRINCE!

Just weeks after Jaron has taken the throne, an assassination attempt forces him into a deadly situation. Rumors of a coming war are winding their way between the castle walls, and Jaron feels the pressure quietly mounting within Carthya. Soon, it becomes clear that deserting the kingdom may be his only hope of saving it. But the further Jaron is forced to run from his identity, the more he wonders if it is possible to go too far. Will he ever be able to return home again? Or will he have to sacrifice his own life in order to save his kingdom?

The stunning second installment of The Ascendance Trilogy takes readers on a roller-coaster ride of treason and murder, thrills and peril, as they journey with the Runaway King!


5 Stars

Read/Listened to October 2013

Fantasy, Book on CD from library and paperback bought at the school Scholastic Book Fair

My Review:
Well, as soon as I finished The False Prince, I requested The Runaway King at the library.  I figured I would do the same as I did with the first book and listen to it on the way to work.  This worked well: my commute was faster and more interesting.  However, this time around was a bit different than with The False Prince.

Julia, my 12 year old, read these books this summer.  She was so excited I was listening to them and asked if we could listen when we were running errands.  She would also often ask me where I was in the story.  Last week was the Scholastic Book Fair at her school.  All she wanted was The False Prince and The Runaway King.  What deal!  They were paperback and on sale.  

Well, one day after we bought them she said, "Where are you in the story?"  I had been listening to the story and told her where I was.  As I made dinner, she read aloud to me.  She was just so excited for me to keep going.

The story was very exciting.  I never knew where the author was going to go with it.  I couldn't figure out how this story was going to end.  There were twists and turns and sometimes it made my stomach hurt with anxiety.  There were times that I thought the author made some pretty big leaps, but at the same time, that is why this is a fantasy.

When it got down to the last couple of chapters, I couldn't wait until I was driving to work.  So instead, I pulled out my daughter's new copy of the book and read the last few chapters instead of listening to them.  This was another great story and I can't wait for the third book, The Shadow Throne.

Warnings: Stabbings, murder, sword fighting, thieving

I would let my 12 year old read this book.  She read it before I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment