Sunday, October 6, 2013

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen

Summary from Goodreads:
THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.

As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.

An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats.


4 Stars

Listened to September 2013

Young Adult/Fantasy, Book on CD in the car on the way to and from work (new thing for me)

My Review:
I have started a new job.  The commute is about 20 minutes one way.  What better time to start listening to a book on CD?!!!

My 12 year old daughter read The False Prince this summer and loved it.  So I started with it.  The beginning was a little hard, I found it a bit slow.  However, once the story got going it was exciting and I wanted to take extra drives so I could listen to the book.  

The story was new to me.  I didn't know what was going to come next.  I liked the plot twists.  I admit I was not a fan of the main character.  I have a hard time understanding him and why he behaves the way he does.  He makes me anxious.  Although somehow I am still routing for him.

There is a sequel to this book called The Runaway King.  I plan on listening to it next.  Bring on the commute!

Warnings: Murder, torture

I would let both my 12 and 15 year old daughters read this book.  As stated before, my 12 year old recommended the book to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment