Sunday, September 8, 2013

V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram

V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram

Summary from Goodreads:
When Val Jensen gets dumped for her decision to stay a virgin until marriage, the nasty breakup goes viral on YouTube, making her the latest internet sensation. 

After days of ridicule from her peers, Val starts a school-wide campaign to rally support for her cause. She meant to make a statement, but she never dreamed the entire nation would get caught up in the controversy. 

As if becoming nationally recognized as “Virgin Val” isn’t enough, Val’s already hectic life starts to spin wildly out of control when bad boy Kyle Hamilton, lead singer for the hit rock band Tralse, decides to take her abstinence as a personal challenge.

How can a girl stay true to herself when this year’s Sexiest Man Alive is doing everything in his power to win her over?


5 Stars

Read September 2013

Teen/Young Adult, e-book on Nook

My Review:
I have been thinking about this book for days.  It was not at all what I expected, and that is a good thing. 

What I was expecting:
A cute teen read about a girl who stays true to her decision to remain a virgin until marriage.  

What I got:
An in depth look at the decisions we each make, why we make them, and how we stay true to them.  

And, a look at standing up for something we truly believe in, not just for ourselves, but in front of the community, and for the people that live in it.

And, so much more.

I can't put in to words the thoughts I have had about this book.  But I'll try to put some of them down.  The characters felt real to me.  If I agreed or disagreed with their opinions, they still brought up valid questions.  The main decision questioned in this book is Val's decision to remain a virgin until marriage.  However, I was most struck by how that decision brought up questions about so many other topics.  One of the characters identifies with Val because he wants to make his own decision about a completely different issue.  I found myself questioning decisions I have made in my life and why I made them.  So many things to think about!

There were so many characters in this book which each had vital roles in the story.  They were each different and brought different perspectives to the situations in the book.  I appreciated getting all opinions and views on the subjects that were brought up.

Some issues I had with the writing/story...I wish Val's parents were more involved.  She has an adult "mentor" in the book, but she expresses a need to discuss things with her parents, but those scenes aren't in the book.  I think parents are MOST important and I wish we could have seen that relationship more.  There was too much eye rolling.  Pet peeve of mine. 

Warnings: Virginity/Sex is the main topic of this book.  So there is a lot of mature talk.  There is a lot of kissing (some fairly intense) and some attempted petting.

I would not allow my 15 year old daughter to read this book at this time.  However, that is because she is not even allowed to date at this time.  She is fairly innocent in this subject matter.  At this point in her life, she hasn't been on a date or kissed a boy, let alone explored her feelings and decisions about sex.  

I think this book would be appropriate for teens who are actively dating and potentially sexually active.  It brings up valid questions for teens and adults alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment