Friday, March 22, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Summary from Goodreads:
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Read March 2013

Library Book

4.5 Stars

My Review:
Wow!  I really liked this book!  This is book 2 in The Lunar Chronicles.  I would recommend reading book 1 first.

I admit that I don't remember that much about the first book in The Lunar Chronicles, Cinder.  I remembered bits and pieces, and I remembered being a bit confused sometimes.  I remembered thinking it was a bit more sci-fi than I usually like.

I was worried when I picked up this book that I wouldn't remember enough of the story from Cinder to gather what was happening.  THANK YOU Marissa Meyer for having enough "reminders" in the story without feeling like I was re-reading Cinder.  It really helped and I was able to enjoy the story without feeling like I didn't know what was going on.

I really liked the character Scarlet.  I liked her story, her personality, and the adventures she went on.  She has a romance in this book that was just enough to enjoy and was totally clean.

I liked getting further information on what was happening around the world and in the Lunar world.  This story went more into what the Queen was planning and how she was doing it.  In Cinder, we really only see what is happening in New Beijing.  

This story follows what is happening in 3 places at the same time.  Although I like knowing what is happening, sometimes I just wanted to stick with the one story.  I would be going along, thrilled with what I was reading, and then it would switch gears to the other person's story.  I can see why Marissa Meyer did this.  There is so much to tell and so much to keep up with.  

This book gives a lot of information and is an interesting story.  It is definitely part of a series in the sense that not a lot is resolved.  Now I can't wait for the next installment due sometime in 2014 called Cress.

Warnings: Some violence

I would let my 15 year old read this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment