Saturday, July 28, 2012

Palace Beautiful by Sarah DeFord Williams

Palace Beautiful by Sarah DeFord Williams

YA, Historical

Read July 2012

5 Stars

My Review:
I loved this book.  Loved it!
Here are some of the reason I love this book.
1. The main character, Sadie, moves from Houston to Salt Lake City.  I have lived in both of these cities and I can relate to both of the locations that the author writes about (especially missing the Blue Bell Ice Cream).
2. Sadie is 13 in 1985.  I was 13 in 1985!  I totally get the 80's.
3. Sadie just moved and I just moved.  So I get the upheaval of everything, leaving everything behind, and yet still excited for the possibilities of the future.
4. Sadie has a likable voice.  I loved seeing inside her head.
5. I would call this book wholesome.  However, it isn't boring.  There is plenty of adventure and getting in trouble, it just isn't the drugs/jail time kinda trouble.
6. I like history.  For good portions of the book Sadie is reading a journal kept by a 13 year old girl from 60+ years before.  It is heart wrenching at times, but also fascinating to read about a girl's experience from the past.
7.Sarah Williams has created a book that my daughters and I can understand and enjoy (and it has a happy ending, I like happy endings)

Warnings: None

I would let my 14 year old as well as my 11 year old read this book.  I have recommended it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment