Read July 2012
I loved this book. Loved it!
Here are some of the reason I love this book.
1. The main character, Sadie, moves from Houston to Salt Lake City. I have lived in both of these cities and I can relate to both of the locations that the author writes about (especially missing the Blue Bell Ice Cream).
2. Sadie is 13 in 1985. I was 13 in 1985! I totally get the 80's.
3. Sadie just moved and I just moved. So I get the upheaval of everything, leaving everything behind, and yet still excited for the possibilities of the future.
4. Sadie has a likable voice. I loved seeing inside her head.
5. I would call this book wholesome. However, it isn't boring. There is plenty of adventure and getting in trouble, it just isn't the drugs/jail time kinda trouble.
6. I like history. For good portions of the book Sadie is reading a journal kept by a 13 year old girl from 60+ years before. It is heart wrenching at times, but also fascinating to read about a girl's experience from the past.
7.Sarah Williams has created a book that my daughters and I can understand and enjoy (and it has a happy ending, I like happy endings)
I would let my 14 year old as well as my 11 year old read this book. I have recommended it to them.