Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Four Chambers (Power of the Matchmaker Series) by Julie Wright

Four Chambers (Power of the Matchmaker Series) by Julie Wright

Summary from Goodreads:
Every time Andra Stone crosses paths with Everett Covington, trouble follows. First she loses her scholarship. Then she loses the apartment she’d wanted more than anything. But tragedy hits hardest when she loses her grandmother—the best friend Andra has ever known. She determines that Everett is a talisman of ill fortune. When Everett comes to work in her hospital and is applying for the same position she’d been working toward since residency, Andra believes him to be her personal poltergeist.

The human heart has four chambers—four chances to get it right. Andra has only one chance left.


4 Stars

I received an ebook for an honest review

My Review:
Mike and I on our wedding day
This book hit close to home for me. Not the romance part, but the medical school, residency, job part. My husband is an Anesthesiologist. We married when we were both still in Undergraduate School. We have been married for 22 years. During that time we have gone through the arduous task of getting in to Medical School, completing an MD AND a PhD, completing a 4 year Residency Program, and then finally getting a job, that my husband LOVES. Yes, this process took 12 years of EXTRA schooling/training, post undergrad. I could identify with the process that these 2 characters went through to get to where they wanted to be in their medical careers.
Mike and his sister, Dr. Kinghorn,
 at Graduation,. Dr. Carter MD, PhD


As someone who has gone through the medical career process, I was very frustrated that these two characters put their careers before their relationships. I understand that career is very important. But to me, having gone through this, I wished that the characters recognized their need for each other sooner. I know the statistics for divorce is high in medical careers. And, in some ways I see why the characters didn't make that leap. However, it was difficult for me to read them going through that process.

Julie Wright did an excellent job of creating the angst between these two characters. I was grateful that Miss Pearl, the Matchmaker, was there to help these two through the years of seeing each other. Miss Pearl had a bigger role in this book than in some of the others. She showed up several times, and in different cities. I loved how she was able to take on a different career. In some of the Power of the Matchmaker books, Miss Pearl was a woman without a specific career. And, in books like this one, Miss Pearl took on a career that she doesn't have traditional training in (at least that we know of). 

Once again, I look forward to reading more in the Power of the Matchmaker Series. The books are stand alone. The common thread is Miss Pearl, the Matchmaker.

Warnings: None

I would let my 18 year old read this book.

You can purchase this book:
Amazon
BN
Kobo



No comments:

Post a Comment